Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Pubs’ Category

Pubs in the Broadway

The Duke of Edinburgh pub in Broadway in 1951. The cinema/bingo complex is now on this site.

Only a few of the old pubs remain dotted along the Broadway. Many have been lost.

STILL THERE

The Rose first opened in 1834 but received war damage in 1941. A temporary hut was put on the site until 1955, when the pub was rebuilt.

The Prince Albert first opened in 1851 and still stands, although the terraced houses alongside it are gone and the roads around it are much wider and busier now.

The King’s Arms opened in 1843 and has undergone several refurbishments since then. Now the pub’s setting is dramatically different, with Arnsberg Way and Asda next to it.

The Golden Lion first opened in 1731 and became an important coaching and posting inn on the London to Dover road. The present building dates from 1901.

The Wrong ‘Un opened in 1994 and is named after a cricket term (the pub is built on land that was long ago a cricket ground).

The Furze Wren opened in 2002, originally named Lloyds No 1.

LOST PUBS

There are many lost pubs in the Broadway. Some of them are:

The Duke of Edinburgh was built in 1869. The pub and the adjoining houses were demolished in 1995 for the 9-screen cinema and bingo complex.

The Lord Bexley Arms was originally built in 1826. Next to it was Jenkin’s Library, a book shop and printing works. The whole row was demolished in 1979 for the Broadway Shopping Centre.

King’s Head in Market Place was built in 1840 and remained until 1987.

The Rat and Parrot opened in the building that was once the Broadway Cinema and later converted into a supermarket. It is now a Chinese restaurant.

Eagle, 1852-1960

The Kent Arms 1841-1925

Rising Sun, 1831-1869

Roberts Beerhouse, 1850s-1858

Howell’s Beerhouse, 1816-1930s

Pearman’s Beerhouse, 1841-1847

This information and more is from Jim Packer’s ‘Bexley Pubs’ and ‘Lost Pubs of Bexley, both published by Bexley Council.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »