Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘History’ Category

At midday on 9 June 2013, the Deputy Lieutenant of Bexley, Major David Hewer, unveiled a sculptured bust of Queen Elizabeth II in the south niche of the Clock Tower in Broadway, Bexleyheath. The bust marks the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s Coronation.

Crowds gather at the Clock Tower for the unveilling

Crowds gather at the Clock Tower for the unveilling

 

A parade of dignitaries and local groups left the Civic Offices at 10am and made their way to Christ Church for a special service to celebrate the event. At noon the parade made their way back to the Clock Tower where thousands of members of the public were gathered. ‘Jerusalem’ and ‘God Save the Queen’ were sung before speeches were made by Ross Paton, Chairman of Bexleyheath Business Partnership, by Rev. Francis Jakeman, vicar of Christ Church, by the Mayor of Bexley, Cllr Sharon Massey, and by the Deputy Lieutenant, Major David Hewer.

The Deputy Lieutenant then pulled the Union Flag which had been covering the south side of the Clock Tower to reveal a bronze bust of Queen Elizabeth II, sculpted by Frances Segelman.

The sculpture of Queen Elizabeth II is revealed

The sculpture of Queen Elizabeth II is revealed

Read Full Post »

A bronze sculpture of Queen Elizabeth II is to be installed in the south niche of the Clock Tower. It will be unveiled by the Deputy Lieutenant of Bexley, Major D. J. Hewer, at noon on 9 June 2013.

The Clock Tower is currently being prepared for the big occasion!

Clock Tower under wraps in May 2013

Clock Tower under wraps in May 2013

Read Full Post »

James Geddes was born in the village of Ruthven, near Buckie, Banffshire on 17 June 1841, the eldest of ten children of John Geddes and Ann Dow. From an early age he felt a desire to devote his life to the work of the ministry, and he went to Hackney Theological College in London to prepare for it. He then accepted an invitation of the Bexleyheath Congregational Church (which had opened in 1854) to succeed Rev. John Adey. The Rev. James Geddes was minister there from 20th September 1868 to 1920.

Bexleyheath's Congregational Church in 1907

Bexleyheath’s Congregational Church in 1907

Geddes was a great preacher with “a style and a method all his own. His sermons were always interesting and always came home to the hearts and lives of his hearers. He had a wonderful gift of apt and forceful illustration.” He was also a great pastor, visiting the homes of his people, and he took a prominent part in temperance meetings.

Rev. James Geddes

Rev. James Geddes

Those people who remember him in his later years usually recall first his great skill as a reader and preacher, equipped as he was with a strong but not harsh voice that retained to the end the accent of his Scottish birthplace. Geddes was a figure known to the whole town, and he could often be seen striding along the road on the way to visit one of his ‘flock’ or to chase up those unfortunate people whose absence he had carefully noted during the previous Sunday’s services. To the children of the Sunday School he was a remote and perhaps revered figure, and his infrequent appearances at the school were guaranteed to cause a stir. He lived in a large house on Broadway, Bexleyheath, near Gravel Hill, with his wife Jessy Harriot and his three children, Jessie, James and Willy. Mrs Jessy Geddes was for a while in charge of a small enterprise that offered help to the poor mothers of the town who were unable to support their children on their own. Their daughter, Jessie, taught children in the ‘Bible Class’ of the Sunday School.

Mrs Geddes and daughter

Mrs Geddes and daughter

In 1911, on the occasion of Rev. Geddes’s 70th birthday, a new hall was erected, later renamed the Lower Geddes Hall, in recognition of the minister’s long and faithful service.

By 1913 Rev. Geddes was suffering from poor health but the church was reluctant to accept his resignation and instead it was decided to share his duties with a co-Pastor, Mr Aeneas Anderson. In 1919 Rev. Geddes suffered a bereavement in the family that affected him greatly, and in the same year Rev. Owen Evans took over as Pastor, although Geddes continued to be involved with the church. He lived in Freta Road. In 1920 Geddes moved to Eltham but even after retirement he still visited neighbouring churches and was welcomed by large congregations coming to hear him. “The secret of his wonderful ministry undoubtedly was tireless energy. He was a hard worker and gave himself up wholly to whatever he undertook to do… There was a solidarity and responsibility in his character which invited confidence. He was at the same time a sympathetic friend and a welcome visitor in times of bereavement.”

James Geddes died at the house of his daughter in Eltham on 23 February 1927 at the age of 86. He was buried in Bexleyheath Cemetery, alongside his wife who had died in 1911.

Many years later, in 1988, the church in Bexleyheath’s Market Place was demolished and a new United Reformed Church was built in its place. [The Congregational and Presbyterian churches merged to form the United Reformed Church in 1972]. Amidst significant town development at that time, the road was named Geddes Place and the new church was called the Geddes Place United Reformed Church.

Geddes Place URC in 2011

Geddes Place United Reformed Church in 2011

Sources:

The Church on the Heath by Ian Crowe, a pamphlet produced by Bexleyheath URC in 1982

Obituary of Rev. James Geddes in Bexleyheath Observer 25 Feb. 1927 p9

Funeral of Rev. James Geddes reported in Bexleyheath Observer 4 March 1927 p13

Family history information from Jim McGill, descendant of John Geddes, brother of Rev. James Geddes.

1841-1911 census

Read Full Post »

Poetry

Poetry is a unique way of describing the changes which have occurred in the Broadway, Bexleyheath. As Arthur Boswell begins:

An old couple sat in the twilight,

Thinking of days that are gone,

Trying to recall what happened,

To the town where they were born…

Tricia Dyer has expressed her memories in a poem about how Bexleyheath has changed over the years, and this can be seen here: How Times Change by Tricia Dyer.

Arthur Boswell (1880-1966) was a photography enthusiast and toured the borough giving talks and lantern slide shows. His poem about the changes that happened to Bexleyheath during his lifetime can be seen here:What a Change by Arthur Boswell.

Not far from Bexleyheath is Barnehurst. Bexley Historical Society member Sally Hawkes has described the changes to Barnehurst here: Borders and Boundaries by Sally Hawkes. She has also described changes in Welling: Trading as ‘Welling’ by Sally Hawkes, in Blackfen: In and Out at Blackfen, and in Crayford: A Clock Tower Ballade.

Read Full Post »

Bexleyheath’s War Memorial has been moved several times. Its original position from 1921 to 1953 was at the corner of Oaklands Road/Broadway. It lists the names of servicemen killed in both wars.

Bexleyheath Armistice Memorial Service 1937

George Arthur Overton lived at Hillcrest, 317 Broadway with his parents. The family had come to live in Bexleyheath from Great Yarmouth shortly after 1911. He enlisted in the Army and rose to Corporal of 1st/1st Norfolk Yeomanry. He was killed in Gallipoli on 5 December 1915, aged 22. [From Kate Holloway, relative of Mr Overton]

Walter William Printer was born in Dartford in 1896. By 1911 he was living in Smiths Cottages, Graham Road, Bexleyheath and working as a telegraph boy at the Post Office. He joined the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards on 26 November 1914. In November 1915 he was awarded the DCM for conspicuous gallantry in rescuing a wounded man while under fire from the Germans. The local newspaper reported that, while recovering in hospital from his wounds, “he has received a telegram from the Postmaster and staff of Bexley Heath congratulating him on the honour conferred upon him and expressing their admiration of his noble and plucky conduct”. Walter survived the war. He married and had children, and died in 1956. [From research by Trevor Tamsett, volunteer on Changing Times project]

 

 

This and more can be seen in the Exhibition pamphlet, which can be downloaded from this site or is available in a printed version.

Read Full Post »

The Parish Squirt

Before 1869, the only fire engine available to Bexley Heath was the ‘parish squirt’ in Bexley Village. It was only after the Eagle pub and an adjoining cottage were destroyed by fire that the Dartford District Highways Board agreed to Bexley Heath’s  request to buy its own fire engine. In April 1869 the Bexley Heath Fire Brigade was formed, consisting of 18 men, all volunteers.

Bexley Heath Fire Brigade 1898

The engine was a two-wheeled vehicle pulled by horses. It could seat four men, while the others had to run alongside it.

Bexley Heath Fire Engine 1898

The Fire Brigade consisted of well-respected men who were part of the distinguished group which marched from the Council Offices to the ceremony of the opening of the Clock Tower in 1912.

Read Full Post »

The Red House was built 1859-60 by the architect Philip Webb for his friend William Morris, the textile designer and artist.

Morris had wanted a countryside retreat and found land in Upton near the growing town of Bexleyheath. It was built in a Victorian Gothic style, and the interior was decorated by Morris, with help from his friends.

The Red House in Bexleyheath, a countryside retreat

Apparently Morris and his family were viewed with suspicion by their neighbours. They kept themselves to themselves, inviting their artistic friends to the house, and they did not go to church on Sundays. His wife wore her long hair loose, which was quite shocking for the time!

William Morris and his eccentric guests were often seen commuting between Abbey Wood railway station and the Red House in a wagon. (The Bexleyheath railway line was not constructed until long afterwards). A Bexley Civic Society plaque off Knee Hill now commemorates this journey.

Stone to commemorate William Morris’s commute from the Red House to Abbey Wood Railway Station

The Morris family only lived at the Red House for a short time, leaving in 1866. However, a bust of William Morris was installed at Bexleyheath’s Clock Tower in 1997 to commemorate the centenary of his death.

Bust of William Morris at the Clock Tower, Bexleyheath

The Red House in Red House Lane, Bexleyheath is open Wednesdays to Sundays. More information is at http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/red-house.

 

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »