Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for April, 2012

Recently converted into The Bank Restaurant and Bar, this building was originally the London & Provincial Bank, built 1915, and later Barclays Bank. The facade reflects the status of banks in the community at that time – high status, solid, a pillar of local society. The two upper floors were comfortable living quarters for the bank manager. The original strong room with high domed ceiling and carved vault door is now a private dining room.

Read Full Post »

Whomes

Edmund Whomes came from a family of church organists and he started his piano shop in the Broadway in 1871 when he was appointed organist of Christ Church, a post he held until 1925. His son and grandson continued the shop and it evolved from selling musical instruments to records and gramophones, later to televisions, washing machines and fridges. It survived until 1989 when it could no longer compete with the large chain stores.

Read Full Post »